I have finally converted!
I know yo
u all have been waiting patiently for this picture! Ok, no, the heat hasn't gotten to me. I really haven't converted to Islam. We just finally got around to visiting the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque. This is one of the few mosques that you can actually go into and see, and it was absolutely beautiful. In order to go into it, though, women have to have their wrists, ankles, and hair covered (and everything in between of course). Apparently, wrists are offensive. Who knew! So for about an hour, as we toured the mosque, I had to put a head scarf on. As you can see, I haven't mastered my technique of the head scarf, but with several visitors coming in the next month and a half, I suspect that I will have more time to practice. The mosque was definitely a must see, if for some reason you ever make it to this side of the world. As you would suspect, the women's prayer room was fairly simple, but the men's prayer room was a vision. It contains the world's largest Persian rug, and one of the biggest chandeliers I have ever seen.
u all have been waiting patiently for this picture! Ok, no, the heat hasn't gotten to me. I really haven't converted to Islam. We just finally got around to visiting the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque. This is one of the few mosques that you can actually go into and see, and it was absolutely beautiful. In order to go into it, though, women have to have their wrists, ankles, and hair covered (and everything in between of course). Apparently, wrists are offensive. Who knew! So for about an hour, as we toured the mosque, I had to put a head scarf on. As you can see, I haven't mastered my technique of the head scarf, but with several visitors coming in the next month and a half, I suspect that I will have more time to practice. The mosque was definitely a must see, if for some reason you ever make it to this side of the world. As you would suspect, the women's prayer room was fairly simple, but the men's prayer room was a vision. It contains the world's largest Persian rug, and one of the biggest chandeliers I have ever seen.

4 Comments:
At 9:11 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Wow, it looks beautiful. You look so mysterious and beautiful, too. :) I think you should embrace the style!
At 2:56 AM ,
Victoria is only a wee bit crazy said...
I have a friend who believe all women should wear burkas, not for religious reasons, but because he thinks we get away with murder because of our looks. I told him he was stupid and to get me a beer ;)
At 7:52 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I was just looking at pics of the mosque in Travel and Leisure. Looks awesome! Still can't get over the indoor ski place in Dubai - very cool.
The Christmas party hats are still my favorite! Look forward to seeing you back in Texas.
At 9:05 AM ,
Kerry Smith said...
This is the coolest blog ever! It makes me feel like I was there, without the heat :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home