Dubai
We took a trip to Dubai this weekend. I had seen pictures of Dubai in magazines that make it seem like an architectural wonder of the world. Yes, the buildings are kind of neat, but they don't seem to have the same effect in person as they do in the magazines. Then, there are the drivers. The drivers are absolutely nuts. So much so that the only driving we did was to the hotel, and then we took taxis from there. But the good news is that the shopping there was fantastic. It was so nice to get back to the land of quality shopping. Not that there aren't stores here, there just isn't a lot that you want to take home.
The most entertaining part of the trip, though, was the ride through the countryside. Those of you that are used to the deer crossing signs will probably get as much of a kick out of this one as we did. You have got to be careful about those camels wandering across the road! And just to prove that they are there for a reason, imagine running after a camel trying to get this picture. Fortunately, the camel didn't seem to be too concerned with our presence.
The other amusing event happened on our way through customs. I was the one driving. The customs guy took a look at me and then J and then me again. Then, he asked "Are you guys friends?" When we said we were married, he just looked at us and said "Huh." As in "That's interesting." I guess they don't get many married couples around here where the woman drives. I guess there is always a first for everything!
The most entertaining part of the trip, though, was the ride through the countryside. Those of you that are used to the deer crossing signs will probably get as much of a kick out of this one as we did. You have got to be careful about those camels wandering across the road! And just to prove that they are there for a reason, imagine running after a camel trying to get this picture. Fortunately, the camel didn't seem to be too concerned with our presence.
The other amusing event happened on our way through customs. I was the one driving. The customs guy took a look at me and then J and then me again. Then, he asked "Are you guys friends?" When we said we were married, he just looked at us and said "Huh." As in "That's interesting." I guess they don't get many married couples around here where the woman drives. I guess there is always a first for everything!

4 Comments:
At 5:38 PM ,
Anonymous said...
You let the woman drive? What kind of world are we living in?
At 2:35 AM ,
SkinnyB said...
The animal or a cigarette?
At 12:05 AM ,
Victoria is only a wee bit crazy said...
I want a camel!!!
At 8:03 AM ,
Anonymous said...
now that i think of it, people from oman probably think deer-crossign signs are pretty hilarious too.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home